If you’ve been thinking about getting a pet, choosing a breed, a name, a breeder, a colour, what types of pet products you’ll need – how you’re going to “dog proof” your home. Don’t forget about the OTHER changes that will most likely change as well.
We certainly considered all of the above, plus the usual – how will we train them, yes we will have to pick up poo, yes we’ll have to go walking regardless of how miserable and cold it is..etc etc
BUT THERE ARE OTHERS!! Below are just a few that we’ve noticed:
- Floors will stay clean for less than 2 hours after you clean them.
- Items you leave on the floor WILL have a 90% increased chance of being chewed.
- If you work from home, you will have them lying on the floor next to you..more often distracting you.
- Instead of cuddling ones partner, you’ll cuddle a puppy instead (beware this one.)
- You’ll start talking to yourself (well at the dog/s) when you go to do things. “OOoh, let’s go to the fridge and see what yummy food there is” (even if it’s your snack).
- You’ll find yourself looking for them when they are asleep.
- Doggy ‘dream barks’ will pull at your heart strings.
- You’ll also find yourself looking for them if they are being noisy in another room.
- If you have wooden floors, expect to see the addition of some dog hair tumble weeds rolling around the place.
And the most impressive point on the list:
- You and your partner will discuss the intricacies of dog poo as if it were a fine wine.
How much, what it was like, how you should adapt their food, how many you got on a walk… the list never ends.
And I wouldn’t swap it for anything.